Thanksgiving Survey from the Food Network Kitchens

by in View All Posts, November 19th, 2008

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, I thought I would ask the Food Network Kitchens crew a few critical questions about some Thanksgiving favorites.

While most of the choices were easy, two questions were particularly difficult. Brining is downright controversial in the FN Kitchens. Although many stand by the method, one of our recipe developers’ take was, “brine, well, that just makes me angry!”

Not so surprisingly, it looks like our cooks just can’t get out of the kitchen, except those who still crave mom’s cooking or just can’t stand the clean-up.

Rob, our executive chef, struggled with his response: “Well, in a perfect world, I’d want a house big enough to cook it all and host all the guests,” while Athen, our steward, cuts right to the chase: “Cook? You must be crazy, I just want to eat and leave!”

Happy Thanksgiving!

Claudia Sidoti, Recipe Developer

Click through for recipes and results:

/* Style Definitions */
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:”Times New Roman”;
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Turkey: Brine or No Brine?

Brine: 9

No Brine: 8

Stuffing: Inside or Outside the bird?

Inside: 10

Outside: 7

Potatoes: Sweet or Mashed?

Sweet: 9

Mashed: 8

Vegetables: Brussels Sprouts or Green Beans?

Brussels Sprouts: 13

Green Beans: 4

Ham: Yes or No?

Cornbread or Dinner Rolls?

Cornbread: 7

Dinner Rolls:10

Cranberries: Jelly or Relish?

Jelly: 3

Relish: 14

Pie: Pumpkin or Apple?

Pumpkin: 10

Apple: 7

And, the most important question of them all: cook or be a guest?

Cook: 13

Guest: 4

Don’t Hog the Oven: Slow-Cooker Thanksgiving Sides

How do you make the rest of Thanksgiving dinner with that big bird sitting in the oven? Pick up the slack with set-it-and-forget-it recipes for slow-c...

1. Nancye Alexander says:

I choose not to subscribe to magazines because I feel they are 90% advertising however; because I watch Food Network all of the time (not kidding) I decided to take a chance and subscribe to the new magazine.

How delighted I was to receive my first issue in the mail today. I've read it front to back several times already and wanted to let you know that I LOVE IT!!! Very minimal advertising, great tips, recipes, gadgets and lots of my favorite FN stars! Keep up the good work and I will be a life long subscriber.

Sincerely,
    Nancye Alexander

2. I love the magazine. I am constantly watching FNC. My favs are Paula & of course Bobby. I love Duff too. I'm in cake business. Would love to see more from those 3 in next issue. Can't wait till it gets here. Excellent!

3. Paula Schell says:

This is the best food magazine I have ever ordered, and trust me, I've ordered just about everyone out there. The recipes and tips are very helpful, and the pictures are the best. Keep up the great work. I look forward to every issue.

4. Loved the magazine. It was a little beat up when it arrived but I called and promptly received a new one intact. I have already used a number of recipes in it . I have also ordered the magazine for my daughter and daughter-in-law.

5. Fran Pender says:

You magazine is one of the finest and comprehensive magazines I have read. The wide coversage of food experts and their experise is by far THE ABSOLUTE BEST. You can read by my superlatives how pleased I am you have put this wonderful magazine together.

6. Fran Pender says:

I am pleased with the content of your magazine.

7. Barbara C. Smith says:

Very well done, good info and not a million adds

8. Velma Baxter says:

I am a great lover of Food Network and watch it often and also often go to the archive for special recipes that I want to make.
    Now that there are so very many diabetic people in our world as a cook for one of them I struggle constantly to adapt your recipes and any other ones that we love to be suitable for his needs. It would be really nice if there were many more diabetic recipes included in all of your shows. Thank you for asking!

9. Anne Harger says:

I was excited to subscribe to Food Network Magazine. It is very interesting to read about the stars that I watch everyday on the Food Channel. I marvel at Rachel, Paula, Bobby,and everyone else. What energy! It's like having them in your home.

10. EMMA CARRIERE says:

I am very impressed with this new magazine, I subscribe to several cooking magazines & this one is far superior. It is great to read about my favorite Chefs & get new recipes.