FN’s Secretary Confidential Returns

by in View All Posts, November 21st, 2008

Loaded Oatmeal Cookies -- Paula DeenToday I headed to the kitchens for a legitimate reason this time (not scrounging for leftovers). I was asked to coordinate a little soiree. The reason? We’re celebrating the launch of our new UK Food site!

Whenever I head to the 6th floor (test kitchens and studios) I wonder if I’ll bump into any FN faves. On recent treks, I’ve spied Rachael and hubby, Bobby (he was in all black — very New York), Guy — sporting his signature sunglasses (yes, inside) and Anne Burrell as well. Of course, the best part of any 6th-floor adventure is Clarence, the security guard. He’s a gem who always has a smile ready for me.

Chef Bleifer and I went over options for hors d’oeuvres and drinks. His plan is to incorporate tasty recipes from the new site — synergy! On the menu: prosciutto-wrapped scallops (yum), thai chicken style skewers (double yum) and a blini with smoked salmon (curious). The delicious smells emanating from the kitchens got the best of me.

“What are they cooking?” I excitedly asked. Chef Bleifer encouraged me to take a peek. Sarah Copeland, head of recipe testing (title is actually “recipe developer”) , and team were busy testing for the FN Magazine’s spring issue. They told me I can’t reveal the test recipes, but here’s a hint: think iconic ballpark or carnival food. I didn’t get a taste, but if looks and smells could kill, no doubt the mag will be slaying your appetites come spring. That said, what are you favorite FN Magazine recipes? I’m voting on the Loaded Oatmeal Cookies — to quote my gal Rachael, YUM-O!

~ Secretary Confidential

What to Watch: Backyard Weekend Barbecues, and On-the-Go Cooking on Cutthroat Kitchen

For this Labor Day weekend, Food Network has a great selection of grilling and barbecuing episodes starting with The Pioneer Woman and Trisha’s ...

1. Nick says:

Love it. So who else was at the soiree? And how come they didn’t give you a taste? Secretary Confidential would love to hear what goes on back stage at Iron Chef and is Cat Cora cool or hot tempered! By the way I noticed posts from Bob T. what’s the man like? Do tell.

2. Debbie says:

Is there a job for me as taste tester over there?
    Sounds like a hopping place to be. If I watch TV its Food network all the time. I just love it!
    Tell Rachel to go back to her original Hairstyle it was more her!!!

3. Lana says:

Ah, Secretary Confidential, you gave us a great dish this time! Well done! And pretty much anything with smoked salmon is gonna be good. We love to hear about what the FN kitchens are making and who’s there. Thx! And keep ‘em comin’.

It’s been fun to see the kitchens in segments of Dear FN this past week. (Most of us recognize the front counter from Flay’s “Throwdown.”) On a personal note, I was happy to see Charlie in the background. Hi Charlie! Greetings from the land of potato vodka! *giggling*

Favorite FN Mag recipes? Oh, sorry to say none of them said “make me!” Seemed as if the recipes were over-simple (been there, done that recipes) or over-complicated (either in number of ingredients, hard-to-find ingredients or in prep time).

I was happy to see the curry winter squash, tho (p. 82). I’ve made it many times before (either grilled, roasted or in a soup) many times to rave reviews from family and friends.

4. josie says:

The sights ,the sounds,the AROMAS!!! Sounds killer. And I would kill to be a fly on the wall in any of the kitchens.But then you are my fly on the wall. Keep up the good reporting.

5. Jessica Remitz says:

Those cookies sound deeeeelish! Would love to get to taste-test anything and everything that’s brewing in that kitchen. Alas, your descriptions will have to fulfill my cravings.

6. Terrie Talker says:

OMG, this is great! I love getting the inside scoop on anything. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

7. Michael Hayes says:

recipe tester! I want Sarah Copeland’s Job. Where do I apply?

8. Lynne Wiley says:

Isn’t Rachel Ray’s husband named John?

9. Lynne Wiley says:

Oh, sorry! I guess you meant Bobby Flay.

10. Robin Koury says:

Mmmm…Your UK launch soiree sounds deliciously decadent! I am eager for the next issue of Food Network Magazine. It’s great to know that the “recipe developers” are hard at work and what better way to celebrate spring than with ball park and carnival themed food. Ahhh…I can almost feel the warm rays of the sun and sand between my toes just thinking about it! Needless to say I have been addicted to the premiere issue of Food Network Magazine. It has quickly become my go-to source for nightly meals! Although, I have to admit the Whole-Grain Pasta with Chickpeas and Escarole (p. 74) has quickly become a house favorite! Keep up the great work Secretary Confidential….