Ask Aida — FN Dish Exclusive

by in View All Posts, November 11th, 2008

Aida Mollenkamp, Ask Aida
Want to Ask Aida your food question? Can’t wait for the episode?

The FN Dish will be on set with Aida and Noah this week. If you have a food question, post it below. The FN Dish will select a couple of burning questions, will Ask Aida and then we’ll post the answers here on The FN Dish shortly.

UPDATE: Check out Aida’s answers to your questions in the comments!

Beat the Afterschool Slump with Kid-Friendly Snacks

The end of summer is a big deal for kids. If your young ones have already gone back to school, they’re transitioning from camp and family vacations ...

1. I have recently started a blog, the info you offer on this web site has helped me greatly. Thank you for all of your time & work. “You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand.” by Leonardo DaVinci.

2. Eddie chang says:

Can you ask Aida this.

I have a number of chefs knives some japanese some german. Should I bring them to be professionally sharpened or can I use a stone and honing steel on both? Thanks.

3. Jeff says:

Hi Aida ~ I recently got a grill pan that covers two burners. I want to grill steak or chicken but I tried it once and it set off my fire alarm — small apartment. How can I reduce smoke from an indoor grilling pan?

4. WD says:

How do you know what herb or spice to use with which meat or dish ? Is there a book or anything that has suggestions ? so I have an idea where to start and what not to use other trying a tasting , possibly ruin a good piece of meat. thanks

5. nickie crumley says:

can i make home made bread and bake it the next day?

6. Hi Aida! My latest culinary phase involves making chocolates. I have some molds that I am experimenting with but I am having trouble with the basic part of melting chocolate in a double boiler. If I melt just a regular chocolate bar, all is well. But when I try to flavor the chocolate to make it my own (i.e. adding cream or Bailey’s), it “seizes” up and I have to throw it out. Would you help me understand the science of chocolate and how I can make my own successfully?

Thank you, Aida!

Lindsey

7. Linda says:

For those of us who’ve seen the light and given up table salt for kosher salt when cooking (or sea salt, or fleur de sel, or whatever) what uses *are* there for table salt? Baking? Brining? Pasta water?

8. Phyllis Roberts says:

All chefs use citrus zest but noone says wash them first. (They have been coughed on, sneezed on, handled, etc.) Please comment on this since no one addresses it.

9. Zelda says:

Everyone cooks chili on game day but, not me I’m making a big pot of beef stew.Is it true that a couple of cabbage leaves in your pot will enhance the flavor of the stew?

10. mlevine says:

We just got this note back… If you like the taste of cabbage, feel free to add it to your stew. It will impart a nice mellow flavor. This popular stew recipe from Rachael Ray includes beef and cabbage: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/st