What I’m screening …

by in View All Posts, October 1st, 2008

I just saw the final cut of our new reality series The Chef Jeff Project.

Chef Jeff Henderson came to our offices more than a year ago, and we were instantly transfixed by his compelling personal story and his powerful presence. A teenage drug dealer, he was sent to prison where he learned to cook. He vowed to reform his life and ended up becoming Executive Chef of Café Bellagio in Las Vegas. Now he wants to help others. So he hires six at-risk young adults to staff his new catering company in Los Angeles, which cooks for high profile events. Can he transform the troubled lives of his young charges while running a high pressure, high profile business? Not without a lot of struggle.

While I don’t generally recommend crying in front of your staff, there I was streaming tears as I screened the first episode at 9:00 am on a Monday morning. How humiliating.

The Chef Jeff Project premieres Sunday, October 12 at 10pm ET/9pm CT

That’s it from where I sit.

Bob

This App Keeps Track of Your Perishable Foodstuffs

One of the worst feelings in the world has to be taking a big, late night swig of milk, only to find out that it is chunkier than cottage cheese and s...

1. Stephanie says:

I am looking forward to seeing “The Chef Jeff Project”; it looks like it will be very good. Thank you so much for answering our questions, Mr. Tuschman. Is the Food Network planning on putting any of their shows on iTunes? (I would particularly like to see “Good Eats” and “Iron Chef: America”) Thank you very much!

2. Robyn says:

Sounds compelling…Robyn

3. Bill & Irene says:

When are you going to have some good ethnic cooking shows on that are authentic. It’s all the same type of cooking. Boring. Guy off the hook is not a cooking show it is an entertainment show and should be on in the evening not on sunday morning. IMHO.

4. Bill & Irene says:

Glad to see Anne back. Are we getting more of alex’s show also.

5. IBCHEFT says:

Well I was a long time viewer probably close to 15 years, and being that I guess I am a minority now and like instructional and being you can not find one hour in the evening to provide such shows that you gladly air weekend mornings, probably when most of the viewers are sleeping who you seem to be targeting these days and we are the forgotten ones who watch the network when others were not even born, we to like Emeril can go to another network and take our business to those sponsors also. So you are right you can not please everyone all the time, but just being rude and inconsiderate of us is disrespectful. I do want to thank you for the many years of good TV that were on and you have brought a few of the new shows to a good standard, just the wrong time of day and no repeat later on in the evening for us that have to work.

6. K. Lee says:

I’ll definitely watch the first episode, I like the concept. By the way, I watched Guy’s new show this weekend, why?!! why??!!! Please bring Sam the Cooking Guy to your network!

7. Jeff says:

Wasn’t he on one of the “Dinner: Impossible” episodes? I think it was the Disney Land or Disney World episode with Chef Irvine.

8. laura says:

I'm really don't like the new website. I would like to be able to look at the daily listings to see the shows and their recipies. Please go back to the old format. I'm not a fan of Guy F at all. Why so much of him. It's gross watching him shove food all over his face and talk with full mouth. Like other comments, I miss some of the old FN stars, when they acutally cooked.

9. Kate says:

Do you really think that the sexual innuendos that are imparted on virtually every ‘Paula’s Party’ are appropriate for a Food Network show — particularly in its current 7 pm timeslot? The show isn’t very instructional anymore and it’s definitely not entertaining!

10. Alec Smart says:

Hi Bob,
    I was wondering if you check out all references and credentials now, in light of the example you tried to make of Robert Irvine.

It seems a few FN personalities are trying to pass themselves off as “chefs” when some may have had only casual instruction or did not complete the full course of study.

I think chefs earn the right to be called chef. Some obtain the designation at accredited institutions, some don’t.

It is an insult to those that work their butts off only to have some pretenders try and pass themselves off as the real deal.

What are your thoughts on this when FN personalities refer to themselves as Chef?