My Favorite Dish …

by in View All Posts, October 9th, 2008

One of you asked if I cooked.  Yep. Many times a week.  Below is my all time favorite dish for friends and family.

Saturday night dinner parties carry high expectations.  My week is stressful enough.  So I go for very casual Sunday night “family” dinners.   No candles, no tablecloths, no fancy centerpieces.  Guests bring cheese or hummus. I pop open a Shiraz or Malbec, never more than $15. Tumblers, not wine glasses.  If I can’t prepare the dish in advance, I ain’t making it.

Below is a stuffed pork recipe I adapted from a week’s cooking vacation I took in Amalfi, Italy at the beautiful  Luna Convento Hotel.  The chef who taught it was the charming Enrico Francese.  I heartily recommend Amalfi, the hotel and the dish.

Neapolitan Stuffed Pork (Braciola alla Napoletana)

Recipe courtesy Bob Tuschman

1 (2 to 3 pound) boneless pork loin

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

1/4 cup grated Parmesan

1/4 cup pine nuts

1/4 cup raisins

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped

2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 medium onion, chopped

2 tablespoons tomato paste

1 cup white wine

1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes

1 bay leaf

Red pepper flakes, if desired

Take pork loin and lay lengthwise on a cutting board. Slice parallel to the cutting board, down the center of the loin, but only cutting about 3/4 of the way through, so as to open the loin up, like a book. Repeat process with each side of the loin, so as to open each side even further. You want a large flat surface to lay out the ingredients and then roll up.

Season the inside of the pork loin with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Sprinkle Parmesan, pine nuts, raisins, chopped garlic, and chopped parsley on top of the meat. Roll the pork loin up, like a jelly roll, making sure to keep contents inside. Tie the roll with kitchen twine, once lengthwise, and a couple times around the sides. This will keep the roll intact while cooking. Season the roast with salt.

In a large high-sided saute pan over medium-high heat, add oil and heat until almost smoking. Sear all sides of pork loin, including ends, until completely browned. Remove to plate. Lower heat slightly and add onion, cooking until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until the paste starts to bubble, about 2 minutes. Add white wine, and using a wooden spoon, scrape up bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook for a few minutes to let the wine reduce slightly. Crush the tomatoes with your hands and add to the pan. Stir in the bay leaf and red pepper flakes, if using. Return pork loin to the pan and bring to a simmer. Cover and let simmer for about 1 1/2 hours.

Remove pork loin from the sauce and let rest for a few minutes. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper. The sauce will have reduced by half. Slice loin into 1/2-inch slices and plate. Spoon the sauce over the slices. Serve the remaining sauce alongside.

Yield: 6 servings

Prep time: 20 minutes

Cook time: 2 hours 20 minutes

Ease of preparation: Intermediate

Enjoy!

Bob

Traditional Fried Chicken Flies the Coop in Favor of the Sweet and Spicy

There are few foods revered for their simplicity and nostalgia-inducing power like crispy, juicy fried chicken. But on Thursday night, 17 prominent Ne...

1. Alex Lopez says:

sounds great! Comfort food is my fave.
    One pot cooking, roasting and braising this time of year is such a treat. Thanks for sharing.

2. Emiline says:

Looks wonderful!

I never open a bottle of wine over $15, but that’s because I’m cheap.

3. laura says:

What, no Aunt Sandy tablescape? Kidding aside, that looks wonderful. I must try this one real soon.

4. Robyn says:

Bob,
    This looks and sound absolutely wonderful. I have a pork loin in the fridge that I just picked up from Sam’s Club and I will definitely give this a try! When are we going to see you cooking on air? ~ Robyn

5. Ava V. says:

if you want a real lebanese way to make hummus, let me know. it’s something my family prides ourselves in.

6. Nikki says:

Hey, Bob, is that your personal picture of your dish? You’ll become a seasoned food blogger before you know it, posting pics like that. Thanks for the recipe and showing us you can “put on” in the kitchen, too!

7. Reuben Reynolds says:

Why is it that all of the best chefs seem to be leaving food network? The cooking seems to more and more dumbed down every year. What brought it in to focus was your blog entry where you said tumblers, not wine glasses. Is there a place on food network for wine glasses and the meal that they imply?

8. Cynthia says:

Hi Bob! Love your blog, and no, I am not just saying that! Your writing is particularly lively and a pleasure to read.

Love this stuffed pork loin recipe and will definitely use it the next time I’m entertaining.

9. Ann says:

Hi Bob,
    First time I’ve had a chance to read your blog. The recipe above looks delicious. I have to agree with other posters on earlier dates about this new website. I do not like it at all. I find it difficult to find what I’m looking for and somethng take forever to load (it’s not me or my computer – I don’t have the trouble with most other sites), I get frustrated trying to figure out where I need to go for what. I also join the voices that woudl liek ot see some changes made in what Paula Deen has become on Paula’s Party – I used to enjoy her shows and I do have her cookbooks and use her recipes, I just can’t stand to watch her any more. Same goes fo rthe Neely’s. If I want to watch suggestive remorks, I know where to find them but I think they’re inappropriate on FoodNetwork. And as an aside to those who tell me I can turn the show off – I do; as I do with all shows I find offensive. IMHO – that doesn’t make it any less inappropriate for FoodNetwork. I hop eyou do read all these comments adn I really hope some good comes from your readings. Thanks for letting me speak my mind!

10. Ann says:

Please excuse the typos in my previous post…I thought I checked but apparently not good enough…I’m so spoiled by having spell check!