Ina is Back to Basics

by in View All Posts, View Video Only, October 22nd, 2008

The FN Dish takes you inside Ina‘s new barn, new show, and new book, Barefoot Contessa: Back to Basics.

To win an autographed copy of Barefoot Contessa: Back to Basics, enter your favorite, “basic” cooking technique in the comments below. Thanks to all who submitted cooking techniques — CONTEST ENDED on 10/27 — winner will be contacted via email!

10 Best Restaurants to Follow on Instagram

While the joke of photographing food has come and gone, what remains is beautifully lit pictures of truly delicious dishes. And if the hipsters starte...

1. Judy Johnson says:

I love your show. I have been watching it since the beginning. I love that you are so natural and at home in the kitchen. That is so important. So many cooks are so nervous in the kitchen and you make it look and sound so easy, which it can be. You are not intimidating. You are just a pleasure to watch.

2. Jennifer Covington says:

Hi Ina! You are so much one of my very best girlfriends even though you don’t know who I am!:) I tivo all your shows and sit down with you every afternoon and just giggle with you and Jeffrey. You have taught me so much. Tonight, I’m making my husband your scallops gratin. It looks divine! Thank you and Blessings to you both Ina!
    Jennifer Covington in Montana.

3. Diane Rocha says:

Ina, yours is the best show on FN, and you are the best cook/host. You remind me so much of our mutual muse, Julia Child. Not your voice, certainly, with your well-modulated tone versus her “warble” (her quote). Rather, it is your relaxed approach to food and entertaining.

I, too, love the tip of roasting the chicken on the bone with the skin on for use in other dishes, and I use it all the time. My other favorite tip is to roast veggies – all different kinds. The recipes I have made most often are the roasted eggplant spread from the first TR show, the chicken chili, and the peach/raspberry crisp.

Thank you.

4. Eileen says:

Welcome back Ina, so excited to see your new show, Back to Basics! Congratulations! Your barn and kitchen are gorgeous! I love you and your style of cooking because you are not a trained chef, you are an ordinary, down to earth professional woman who has worked very hard, and you love to cook and entertain. You followed your dreams and proved how rewarding that can be. You truly are an inspiration! One of my favorite “basic” cooking techniques (there are hundreds!) is cooking bacon on a sheet pan in the oven. That is genius! NO more messy stovetop and curled up bacon! Another favorite is all the tips you give for preparing dishes ahead of time so you have more time with your guests. Thank you for all you share with us, from your #1 fan, Eileen.

5. Linda says:

I am thrilled to finally see new episodes, and I just learned of your new show “Back to Basics”… Love the new barn. One of my fave recipes which has become my Christmas tradition are your “Outrageous Brownies”! Without fail I use your tip of rapping the pan midway during the baking & the brownies are always fabulously delicious!
    I give them as gifts each year,thank you Ina. I love watching your shows!!
    Love your classic, down to earth approach to cooking and your beautiful presentation for all that you do!

6. Gwynne Elliott says:

Ina’s back — hoorah hoorah! My favorite ‘basic’ is Ina’s roasted vegetables, done simply with olive oil, whole clove garlic and kosher salt to make her divine Orzo with Roasted Vegetables. I’ve made it so many times I could do it in my sleep. It’s always gobbled up by friends and family, and is just our absolute favorite! Kudos Ina on the new show, new cookbook and new barn! Please come and cook with me!

7. Kyle Amberg says:

Always use good quality ingredients and keep it simple and delicious! Thanks for all the great recipes Ina!

8. Jackie Clonan says:

Ina, you’re just great! I am an avid cook,& baker & still learn from you….as I do believe other hosts have as well! I have all of your books except the new one! I have made many of your recipes….all wonderful I might add! We even sit down to dinner each pm to your 5pm show…my husband knows I’m addicted to Barefoot. Love your home & the way you decorate as well. That being said, my favorite basic is braising. It just does the best things to meats. Good luck with the new show….we’ll be watching!
    Miguel & Michael are the best!

9. Jeannie says:

My favorite Ina technique is too cook couscous right in the serving dish instead of having yet another cooking pan to wash. It makes things so much more convenient!

10. Stephanie Gee says:

Thank you Ina. My husband and I love to entertain and have learned so much from you. Following your advice to serve only three things so we can spend more time with our guest has been a gift.Also we have found we can be a little more extravagant with each dish since we live on a budget.