Welcome to Bob’s Blog

by in View All Posts, September 23rd, 2008

Wondering what this blog will be about? First and foremost: all your questions about the network will be answered. Programming. Stars. Behind the scenes. I’ll try to pack in as many as I can. So start sending me your questions now. Give me your best.

This is the place to hear it all first: what I’m screening, what’s taping in our studios, what’s going to be on our air, and all the buzz from the kitchens, sets and hallways.

Just so you don’t waste your questions, here are the Top Five I get asked most frequently:

Who is your favorite star? Hey parents, who is your favorite kid? You love ‘em all. But for different reasons. Even when they’re difficult. Even when their grades are low. Even when they crayon on the walls. But mostly because you see the unique talents of each one. And they’re your family. Same with me.

Who’s your least favorite star? See above.

Why don’t you weigh 500 pounds? Well, you’d think our offices would be overflowing with leftovers from the Iron Chefs, Rachael and Tyler. No such luck. While all the food cooked on shows is 100% real, it’s also 100% off limits to staff. After an episode tapes, food often needs to be held under hot lights and photographed for beauty shots. My lunch most days? A tuna or peanut butter sandwich while screening shows. So much for glamour.

What’s the worst pitch you’ve ever gotten? We’ve seen it all. Drag cooking shows. Puppet cooking shows. Silent cooking shows. But my favorite was Gladiator Cooking, complete with a dude whipping up recipes in full Spartacus regalia. So random.

Did you ever put on a show so bad you thought you’d be fired? Well, it is tv, so there’s still time. But the show that had me most nervous turned out to be a game changer and huge hit for us: 30 Minutes Meals. Rachael was the first non-professional, non-culinarily trained chef on our air. It was a huge risk, and I got hideously angry email from some longtime viewers. But I loved Rachael’s down to earth approach, her “can do” message, and her clever recipes. You know the rest.

Now it’s your turn.  Fire your questions to me.  I’ll be back shortly with all the news from where I sit.

Bob

Dinner Rush! Creamy Rigatoni with Squash, Sage and Pine Nuts

Move over, pumpkin spice latte — you’re not the only squash-themed edible that deserves the seasonal spotlight. Let’s clear a path f...

1. Carol Clark says:

My 11 year old daughter loves the Food Network and we enjoy watching some of the programs together and then trying out the recipes in our kitchen. Have you ever considered having a cooking show that is geared towards kids in the kitchen?

2. Gary says:

Hey Bob!! First let me say I enjoy the Food Network Channel. I have to say that your Thanksgiving special was offensive to me and several people that I invited to my home to watch this special. The “Duck” was much too graphic for my guests. We all eat animals most days, but the presentation was so wrong with the ducks. I hear presentation, presentation all the time on FNC but, the presentation with the ducks was well, in poor taste. Now that I am on a roll, let me say that I love Alton, and Guy. They are your stars. Paula needs to drop the YAW, the Neeleys need to tone the Big Mamma and Big Daddy crap down, and please tell Ina {Barefoot} I am so sick of hearing about “Jeffery”. This is a cooking show, not Peyton Place. With the Neeleys, I expect that they just might have sex just any day on Down Home. You see Bob, I pay to get the Food Network Channel and think I have a right to complain about some of your programs. Another thing, we are real people. If we want the stuff that Sandra Lee and Robin cooks, we just might go to a restaurant. Hey, that Rachael girl is GREAT. And tell Emeril to do his own preparation. He is just a recipe follower. I have eaten at his restaurants at the Casinos and it’s just a bunch of over priced crap! You guys at the FNC need to remember who is watching and who pays the bills………..Ordinary Americans, not five star chefs.

3. Donna Nemier says:

Hi Bob:

I just love Diners Drive In’s and Dives – we make it a family event to watch and enjoy. I also enjoy Rachel Ray and the Neeley’s – I guess I’m a low-key, down-home type of person. These programs really speak to my style of cooking.

Thanks for including the “regular” folks in when considering your programming.

4. Linda Spangler says:

Hello Mr Tuschman, I am a big fan of Food Network, and I would love to compete for the next food network star. My question is do you have to be a professional chef?

5. emma says:

Am I seeing things or have all the comments between
    November 16, 2008 at 11:20 pm and January 4, 2009 disappeared???

6. emma says:

And now I can’t see any comments between January 4, 2009 at 3:31 pm and July 10, 2009 at 5:55 pm.

That’s it, no more afternoon cocktails.

7. Wordsworth says:

Hey Guys,

Are you ready for some FOODBALL????

8. I feel this is among the such a lot important information for me. And i’m satisfied studying your article. However should observation on few common issues, The web site style is ideal, the articles is truly nice :D. Excellent job, cheers.

9. Homepage says:

… [Trackback]…

[...] Informations on that Topic: blog.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/2008/09/welcome-to-bobs-blog/ [...]…