Questions, Questions, Questions …

by in View All Posts, September 30th, 2008

Reading through your first batch of questions, I caught a couple of common themes, which I thought I’d tackle here:

WHY DON’T YOU SHOW COOKING SHOWS AT NIGHT?   I know there’s a large group who would love to watch our cooking shows at night.   But there’s a much larger group (quite a sizeable majority, actually) that prefers our evening programming to be more story driven and entertaining than straight instructional:  competitions, travel, docusoaps, food science, chef challenges.   That’s why we pack the weekends (til 2pm) and weekdays (til 7pm) with all our best cooking shows. Will we please everyone all the time? No, but try to remember the last time you got a few million of your friends to unanimously agree on something.

WILL YOU BRING BACK ROBERT IRVINE TO DINNER IMPOSSIBLE?  We’ve gotten tons of e-mail on both sides of this argument.  In any case, there’s no doubt that Robert is a talented chef, a compelling tv personality, and has earned a large fan base.  As we said at the time, we’ve worked hard to earn the trust of our viewers, and we had to address what appeared to be intentionally misleading statements Robert made about his culinary credentials.  We did say we would reconsider Robert’s involvement with the network down the line.  At this time, we’ve simply not made a decision about the future.

WE LOVE INA AND NIGELLA.  WHY AREN’T THERE NEW EPISODES OF EITHER ON NOW?  You’ve got good taste. I love them both, too.  We bought all of Nigella’s recent series:  Nigella BitesNigella Feasts and Nigella Express as well as a lot of her holiday specials.  Unfortunately, British networks tend to make far fewer episodes of series than we do.  So we’ve already put everything on the air we could get our hands on, and, along with you, we eagerly await Nigella’s next series ….

Meanwhile, Ina has been busy taping an entire new season which we’re just about to launch on Sat 10/18 at 1:30pm/12:30c.  She’s calling this season Barefoot Contessa: Back to Basics, and I’ve watched quite a few of the new episodes. I think it’s her best season so far.

At a lunch we had last spring, Ina was brimming over with new ideas to amp up her ever-popular series: it’s chock full of new ways to include more tips and takeaways on shopping, cooking techniques and “turning up the volume” of simple ingredients to make you a cooking superstar.

ISN’T ASK AIDA THE SHOW ADAM PITCHED ONTHE NEXT FOOD NETWORK STAR?  Boy, would my life be easier if the development and production process happened that quickly.  On average it takes 8-12 months from initial show conception to premiere on our air.  We had this interactive cooking show in development for more than six months before we even met Adam.

IS GUY FIERI THE ONLY STAR TO HAVE COME FROM THE NEXT FOOD NETWORK STAR? Au contraire, each of the 4 winners have found success.  Aaron McCargo’s show Big Daddy’s House is one of the most highly rated cooking series to have launched in recent years.  It was instantly renewed and new episodes will premiere in January.  Likewise, Amy Finley’s show The Gourmet Next Door was one of the highest rated cooking shows of last year.  It was solely Amy’s decision to not return.  I don’t usually beg our stars, but in this case I did.  Repeatedly. Humiliatingly.   But having moved on to a new life in France with her family, she simply did not want to tape any more episodes.   The first winners – Dan and Steve - were on the air for two seasons.  Given that the majority of most new tv shows never make it to season two, I’d say we’ve done did pretty well.

That’s it from where I sit.  I’ll be back shortly with more …

Bob

25 Ways to Use Sauerkraut

Oktoberfest in Germany may have ended, but you can keep the celebrations going all month long. Sauerkraut, a traditional German fermented cabbage, isn...

1. Pat Rosende says:

Love your chanel,but what happened to the program schedule and the ability to read the recipes or print them. I am a better cook than I have ever been because of your chefs. Please make it possible to get the reciped on the screen.

2. Pat Rosende says:

Please bring back the tv scedule. It isn’t the same as revueing recipes or printing them.

3. Patty says:

Where is Giada? As we all know she had a baby and very happy for her and her husband! Is her show coming back and the travel one too?

4. Patty says:

I agree on some of the comments about the Neely’s and Paula’s party. I started watching Paulas party but it made me change the channel. It is like watching Aunt Bee lick the spoon in a raunchy way too. I like the old Paula Deen show.

5. Courtney says:

Bob, thank you for opening this blog and welcoming our comments and suggestions! I agree with the comments about the Gordon Elliott produced shows and I hope you will adress them. I miss the old Paula Deen and I find the Neelys annoying even though they seem to make some good food. You judges would get on the NFNS contestants if you thought their personalities were too much so why do you allow it here? If they would tone it some I think I would be a big fan. And Road Tasted was so much better with the cute Deen Boys than with the Neelys. Thank God for DVR so I don’t have to stay up until 3 in the morning to watch them. I miss The Secret Life of…what happened to it? I like Ask Aida, I think she’s adorable.

6. Pam says:

Just weighing in here – I, too, would love to see more instructional TV in the evening. I work in the daytime and can only view the show in the evenings. On the weekend, I do errands in the a.m., so I miss alot of the Saturday morning programs.

I think I will ask all of my friends (who also have day jobs) to post here. I think our voices should be heard…

7. Ani says:

Hi. When will you show new episodes of Have Fork Will Travel? It is informative and funny. Thanks.

8. Alec Smart says:

I think you need to kiss and and makeup with Bourdain and see if you could coax him back to the Food Network. His show is an absolute joy to watch. He is enjoyable to watch and listen to and hasn’t let fame or notoriety go to his head. You need to find a host like him or totally reinvent RR or Giada, because their idea of a food/travel show are getting real old.

Why don’t you make the call and get him back before he jumps to a real bonafide network ?

9. Feikal Madhur says:

Hi Mr Tuschman,
    I have a question. Have you ever thought about acting or performing on TV ? Some people say you look like the love child of Margaret Hamilton and Rene Auberjunois and could easily be cast on a sci-fi series like Battlestar Galactica or Next Generation. I'm thinking you would do well.

Any thoughts ?

10. JOE says:

Bob, I enjoy watching repeats of Dinner Impossible with Robert Irvine. The show is not the same without him. Please reconsider and bring back Robert to DI.